After you have planned your itinerary, you need to consider how to best protect your home while on vacation. Of course you never leave expecting that something bad will happen, but take precautions before you leave. A little extra vigilance will help keep your property and belongings safer while you're gone.
At GUARDIAN INSURANCE AGENCY located in Fairburn, Lagrange and Norcross, we give you five tips to help you protect your home while on Vacation:
1. If it looks like there are still people at home, you are much less likely to be robbed. Do everything you can to make it look like there is activity both inside and outside the house. This would be an excellent time to have some lawn or exterior work done. You may need to make arrangements with whoever is doing the work, either paying them a deposit ahead of time, or arranging to pay the balance at a later date.
2. To help create the illusion that the residence is still occupied, invest in timers that turn on the interior lights for a few hours every evening.
You could also consider having some lights or motion sensors put in. A battery operated push light in the window can be a great idea. Better yet, connect some outside and inside lights to motion sensors. This way, if anyone gets too close, the lights will come on automatically.
3. An easy, low tech way to make sure that your place is covered is by asking a trusted friend, neighbor or family member. Have them go over to your home several times a week just to check on everything. You could also have them collect mail and take the trash cans out and/or bring them back in. In some cases, the local police department is able to help with a few of these tasks. This is not a replacement for a trusted friend or neighbor. However, having a police officer do a ‘vacation check’ a few times while you are away is still an additional level of security.
4. Installing a home security system is a good way to ramp up security around the old homestead and make your house safer whether you're around or not. There is no better way to secure your home while you are away on vacation than a home alarm system. With the technology available, at minimum you will be able to have a system with a control panel, door and window sensors, motion sensors, glass break sensors and often times these features can be monitored using your cell phone.
5. Take the final trip through the house before you leave. Check to make sure that all windows and doors are closed and locked, that there is no water running and that all unnecessary appliances are off. If you are leaving your home vacant for a long period of time, you may need to purchase special vacant home insurance. Talk to your insurance agency you're planning on being more than a few weeks away.
Remember that a Home insurance policy may help protect your wallet, your House and even offer peace of mind. Contact us for more Information, At GUARDIAN INSURANCE AGENCY located in Fairburn, Lagrange and Norcross we can help you to find the best Renters or Homeowners Insurance!For more Information contact us: (706) 884-5006 or (770) 969-5666